Early Years Foundation Stage
At the Redway School we recognise how important starting school can be at such an early age and have a department dedicated to making that transition as easy as possible for the children and their families. We cater for children from as early as 2 years old and have well staffed classes to ensure that children have the best start to their education.
We also recognise how difficult some parents can find parting from their children at such an early age encourage a close relationship with families through joint assessments, planning and very careful preparation before the children arrive for their first day. Families are also invited to spend some time during the first few days in school with their child and join in with fun activities. Our staff work very hard to provide a warm and supportive atmosphere, where we hope children and their parents can feel welcome, safe and settle in quickly.
All children are allocated a ‘key person’ who works closely with specialist staff such as physiotherapists and occupational therapists to ensure that the all of the children’s needs are met. They will also develop a close relationship with the children to ensure that their emotional well-being is looked after.
Within the Early Years there are classes that cater for 2-3 years old and classes for 4-5 years old. We also have a class for those children who are transitioning out of the EYFS to using the Redway Curriculum and joining the Primary Department.
We use a well-designed curriculum that enables children to experience a wide range of activities, while they learn and develop. Most of all, we want all the children in the nursery to have fun, feel secure and to know how much we care for them.
Within the Early Years Foundation Stage department we aim:
- To provide a broad, balanced Early Years curriculum for our pupils, using a topic based approach.
- To provide a play experience that is emotionally, intellectually, physically and socially challenging.
- To enable children to learn at their own pace; to build on what children already know and can do.
- To include all children, ensuring that no child is disadvantaged because of ethnicity, culture, religion, home language, family background, special educational needs, disability or gender.
- To provide well planned, purposeful activity and appropriate intervention by practitioners
- To provide high quality care and education
- To address cognitive and communication needs
- To address physical and medical needs
- To set the foundation for close and lasting partnership with parents.
We have close links with the rest of the school, when we join in whole school activities such as the Harvest Festival, Creative Arts Week and Healthy Living Week.
Our staff work very hard to provide a warm and supportive atmosphere, where we hope children and their parents can feel welcome and settle in quickly. We want children to experience a wide range of activities, while they learn and develop. Most of all, we want all the children in the Early Years Foundation Stage at the Redway School to have fun, feel secure and to know how much we care for them.